Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Morgan remains optimistic with his Lucas Oil Ford Mustang

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. (June 9) -- Larry Morgan's quest for horsepower in the Lucas Oil Ford Mustang Pro Stock car this season has taken some interesting turns.

The veteran driver and engine builder hasn't qualified since the NHRA 4Wide Nationals in Charlotte, a disappointment to be sure, but Morgan knew starting an engine program from scratch wasn't going to be an easy thing.

"We're gaining on it," Morgan said. "I want to pull my hair out right now, but we're going to get it worked out. I have faith."

Heading into this weekend's 41st annual United Association NHRA SuperNationals, Morgan said the biggest stumbling block so far has been getting all those new parts and pieces working together without breaking.

"The shocks didn't work right last race," Morgan said. "If it's not one thing it's another. It's just tough right now. We're going to be all right, trust me. I've got the hardest working group of guys out there and we've been working nonstop to make it right."

Maybe history will be on Morgan's side -- he has a good track record at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

"I've done well at Englishtown," Morgan said. "I've always liked that track. I won the (Pro Stock) Shootout there. I've won the race there before (in 1994). It's been good for me."

Qualifying for the United Association SuperNationals begins at 3 p.m. EDT, Friday. The qualifying show will be aired on ESPN2 in primetime on Saturday evening.