Thursday, April 29, 2010

One Year after a Violent Crash, Stivers Takes on St. Louis a Changed Man


MADISON, Ill. (April 29, 2010) - Frightening and dramatic were just two of the words used to describe Rick Stivers' racing accident just a year ago at Gateway International Raceway - the same quarter-mile racetrack he'll be piloting this weekend when the NHRA Get Screened America Pro Mod Drag Racing Series competes at the AAA Insurance NHRA Midwest Nationals. For the 53-year-old Kentucky native, that moment in time changed his life forever.

Last year during a qualifying run, the studs on the rear axle broke during a qualifying run, directing Stivers' car into the left retaining wall at an almost 90-degree angle. After a hard crash, the car tipped onto its front end and rolled once, sliding to a stop in the center of the track - right-side up.

"I still remember seeing the wall coming up in front of me like it was slow motion and thinking, 'ok, I'm going to hit it, I just have to keep the car from rolling over.' That was just before I slammed into the wall and rolled down the track," Stivers recalled.

Through the miracles of modern safety equipment, Stivers walked away from the crash without a scratch, despite the complete destruction of the '06 Dodge Stratus Pro Mod fielded by veteran drag racer and tuner Brad Anderson. The incident did, however, leave a scar on Stivers' psyche. "I'll never be the same," he said.

"That was really a turning point for me in a lot of ways. I wasn't injured other than the obvious strained muscles and bruises, but I really had to work through the mental side of things. It really shook me up. I did get back in the car later in the year, and was able to even win a race thanks to my family's support and this amazing team. But it still took me a while to really balance out what happened and just why I was able to get away with one."

This weekend, Stivers is looking to make a jump back into the points chase at the same track that took him out of contention for a championship last year - and he's determined to make a statement along the way.

"I'm a changed man since that crash. I don't get quite as worked up about things as I used to, and I put a lot more time into my family and my new grand daughter. I am still, though, a fierce competitor, through and through - and I'm in this race to win a championship.

"Trane has been my sponsor for the past two years, and their saying goes, 'it's hard to stop a Trane' - and that pretty much says it for me, too," Stivers said.

Pro Mod qualifying sessions are scheduled for 2:45 p.m. and 5 p.m. on Friday, April 30 with a final session at 1:30 p.m. on May 1. The first round of eliminations begins May 1 at 4 p.m. Pro Mod eliminations will continue on Sunday, May 2, starting at approximately 2 p.m. ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise 30-minutes of racing highlights from the Get Screened America Pro Mod Series portion of the AAA Insurance NHRA Midwest Nationals on Sunday, May 9 at 10 a.m. (EDT).