Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Langdon will have two chances at Englishtown glory

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. (June 9) -- Racing one car in a weekend is not enough for Lucas Oil/Speedco Top Fuel dragster pilot Shawn Langdon.

Langdon was offered a chance to drive a Super Gas car at this weekend's 41st annual United Association NHRA SuperNationals and the three-time world champion jumped at the opportunity.

"Anthony Bertozzi called me up," Langdon said. "He needed someone to drive his car. A guy by the name of Troy Williams was supposed to drive it, but he hurt his hand. It's a '63 Corvette roadster and Anthony's cars are always really good. I said, 'Why not.'"

Langdon said he's spent most of his time in the last two years getting the hang of his Top Fuel dragster, but he's recently got the itch to try some Sportsman racing again. Prior to turning pro in 2009, he won back-to-back world titles in Super Comp.

"I've been jealous of Jeg Coughlin racing two cars at every national event," Langdon said, "So I thought I'd give it a try."

Racing two different cars in a weekend brings Langdon back to the days when he was first starting out in drag racing.

"I used to run Super Comp and Super Gas all the time," he said. "Last time I did that was in 2008 when I won the Super Comp championship and finished eighth in the world in Super Gas the same year.

"It's been a while since I've run two cars at a national event but lately I've been spending more and more time watching the Sportsman racers run. Sportsman racing is what I love. Hopefully it will be a good weekend. The Top Fuel car is running really well and Anthony's cars are always top-notch. I'm real excited to get to the track."