Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Bristol Dragway is familiar stomping grounds for Langdon

BRISTOL, Tenn. (June 15) -- Shawn Langdon has already raced at Bristol Dragway this year and can't wait to get to the track again, this time in his Lucas Oil/Speedco Top Fuel dragster.

"I always look forward to going to Bristol," Langdon said. "It's one of the nicest facilities we go to. The track is always great."

Perhaps the surroundings at this weekend's 10th annual NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals will help end the Lucas Oil dragster's recent run-in with bad luck.

The sophomore driver slipped to eighth in the Full Throttle Series Top Fuel points after his car's parachutes deployed before it could even reach the starting line at the last event in Englishtown, N.J. It was the second week in a row that a non-engine malfunction has cut Langdon's day short.

Despite the gremlins, Langdon his car is running as well has it has all season long.

"With how the car has been running, we're excited to go there," Langdon said. "We went to the semis in Bristol last year and I know another weekend like that would be huge for me and my guys."

Just six races remain before the cutoff for the Countdown to 1, the NHRA's version of the playoffs.

Like last week, Langdon is also going to race a Super Gas car in Lucas Oil Sportsman racing at Thunder Valley. It will be the second time this year he has raced a Sportsman car at Bristol.

"A month ago, I went out bracket racing there," Langdon said. "There's always a lot of fun times surrounding any event at Bristol. Being at the track always brings back good memories."

The Thunder Valley Nationals is the third of four straight races for the Full Throttle Series, but Langdon said being at the racetrack week after week only seems to energize him.

"Racing every weekend is how I earned my living for the last seven or eight years," Langdon said. "To me, it's nothing out of the ordinary. It's what I love to do.

"When I sit at home during a weekend, I'm lost. I don't enjoy it, and find a way to end up at some racetrack racing my Super Comp car or going to the Indy 500. There's nothing I'd rather be doing."

Qualifying for the NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals begins at 5 p.m. EDT Friday at Bristol Dragway. Qualifying and eliminations will be broadcast on ESPN2 on June 19-20.