Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lucas Oil Top Fuel pro Langdon to star at Bristol bracket race

BRISTOL, Tenn. (April 21) -- Shawn Langdon won't be piloting his 8,000-horsepower Lucas Oil/Speedco Top Fuel dragster this weekend as the NHRA tour takes a much-needed break. But that doesn't mean the three-time world champion drag racer will be sitting around his Indianapolis home.

Instead, Langdon will be testing his mettle against the best sportsman racers in the country at Bristol Dragway in eastern Tennessee at the K&N Filters Spring Fling 20's presented by Sparco, which run Thursday through Sunday at historic Bristol Dragway.

"Everyone's talking about this race and it's the type of big money event that will draw every big-name bracket racer in the country," Langdon said. "I'm looking at it as more of a fun type weekend where I can get back to my roots and see all my old friends, but I'm sure going to try and win while I'm there."

Langdon will be fighting for more than $70,000 in cash as race organizers and fellow sportsman stars Peter Biondo and Kyle Seipel have stacked the deck to ensure the competition will be top notch. Thursday's race will pay the winner $10,000, while Friday, Saturday, and Sunday's races will be worth $20,000 each.

"With that kind of money on the line the racing is going to be great every round," said Langdon, a world champion in Junior Dragster (1997) and Super Comp (2007 and 2008). "That makes it really exciting to me.

"I'm not sure why more pro drivers don't bracket race. I love it. I’ll race every weekend."

Langdon will be piloting John Ciccarone's dragster at this event with all racing contested to 1,000 feet.