Thursday, March 25, 2010

National record holder expects more quick times in Charlotte

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (March 25) -- Confidence is high in the GEICO Powersports Suzuki pits heading into this weekend's inaugural NHRA 4-Wide Nationals at zMax Dragway.

There's good reason for rider Karen Stoffer to be optimistic heading into this weekend's first-of-its-kind competition. Her new power package and riding routine produced a Pro Stock Motorcycle national ET record in the season opener at Gainesville, Fla. 

Now, Stoffer says that record may only be scratching the surface of what the GEICO Powersports Suzuki team is capable of this season.

"We've got a really good motor in the bike right now," Stoffer said. "It's got a different power band, so we're trying to figure out what the track likes so we can go rounds in Charlotte.

"The team worked very hard on the bike and on the motor. Plus I deprogrammed how I've been riding the last 20 years and reprogrammed myself a different way. I'm still working hard, because it's not something you can do once and have it mastered, but we're certainly pleased with the direction we're heading."

The biggest curveball to this particular event is that the facility is going to be using all four lanes in competition at the same time. Stoffer said she doesn't anticipate any major changes to the way she races, as long as everything is staged in an orderly way.

"It's going to be interesting," Stoffer said. "But I only race my lane. I don't really care what everyone else is doing after staging. We're going to go in and do our thing.

"I'm hoping the fans are honest and aware and voice their opinions whether they like it or not, so we can continue to make improvements with the NHRA."

Stoffer said a win this weekend would be huge -- historic value or not.

"I think conditions are going to be really fast with the potential for more record-breaking runs," Stoffer said. "We've had a dry couple of seasons in the win department so I think winning any race would be great for us. But with the four-wide it might be especially important because I don't know how often we're going to do this. I'm just not sure at this point if it's going to be something the fans like or don't like.

"The winner is going to go down in the record books so everyone really wants to bring home the Wally from this race. I hope we can pull it off for GEICO Powersports and all our fans."

No comments: