Sunday, August 15, 2010

Upton Wins Moser Axle-Mania Showdown At Northern Nitro Jam



MARTIN, Mich. (August 14, 2010) – Just four months ago Bo Upton was just another ordinary racer with a dream and a racecar.

Upton loved to race, but knew he didn't have the means to chase a championship. Upton loved to win, but knew that his hobby would never be much more than that.

Now, two big wins and $32,500 later, Upton is a prime example of just what can happen when a person doesn't give up on a dream and continues to chase after the things that matter most.

Upton, already with one big win in his pocket this year and a World Championship to go with it, continued his run of IHRA's crown jewel events with a victory in the Moser Engineering Axle-Mania Sportsman Showdown during the Northern Nitro Jam event at U.S. 131 Motorsports Park Saturday in Martin, Mich.

Upton hauled his car all the way from South Carolina to be a part of this weekend's big event and walks away $22,500 richer for his troubles, taking down many of the best drivers in the business along the way to claim his second big win of the season.

"This means the world to me. To have the opportunity to come out and get to run for $22,500 in a five round race is incredible. These guys at Moser are a quality act," Upton said. "We towed 14 hours to get here and to have it pay off like this is a dream come true. What an amazing weekend and what an amazing season. We truly feel blessed to get to do what we do and be a part of such an amazing program."

Placing 32 of the best drivers from around the country on a ladder regardless of class with the winner taking home their share of the $51,000 purse generously put up by Moser, the Moser Axle-Mania Sportsman Showdown is one of the biggest events on the sportsman calendar each year and big part of each Nitro Jam that has been lucky enough to host this prestigious event.

Now Upton can add his name to the list of drivers that have hoisted the unique trophy presented by Moser and the check declaring him the winner of one of the biggest races of the year.

"This is the biggest weekend for us from a racing standpoint," said Rob Moser, president of Moser Engineering. "To get together 32 of the best sportsman drivers in the country is a pretty amazing feat and this event, with the help of the IHRA, went off great as it always does.

"What can I say about Bo? Bo has been in this shootout before and has never been able to get it going. He certainly changed that this weekend."

Along with the big win this weekend in the Moser Axle-Mania Showdown, Upton also claimed a win in the Tournament of Champions back in April to take home another big prize and the title of World Champion in the Quick Rod class.
Now, after Saturday's win, Upton can say that he is not only a champion in Quick Rod, but one of the best regardless of class.

"I have never chased points or a championship before, I just couldn't do it. Now the IHRA has stepped up and made it possible to be a champion by proving it on the track and stuff like that carries over to a big program like the Moser deal and it makes for a lot of fun opportunities for sportsman racers in the IHRA," Upton said. "And for me to win both of these things in the same year is simply unbelievable. You have to be lucky in this business to get a win and I feel very fortunate to have won the events I have won this year."

With $22,500 on the line, Upton defeated Stock racer Myron Piatek in the final, running a 4.662 on a 4.64 dial in the eight-mile final. Piatek was just off his mark with a 7.296 on a 7.30 dial.

Upton defeated Piatek, David Elrod, Gilmer Hinshaw, Allen Constantine and Stuart Smith on his way to picking up the richest payout in Nitro Jam competition. Upton did it all from the Quick Rod category.

Piatek defeated Brandon Peterson, Brian Folk, Nick Folk and Terry Taylor on his way to a runner-up finish.

"Me and a buddy of mine made the haul up here splitting driving time. I just knew that if I am going to make the trip I am not leaving anything on the track," Upton said. "Thankfully we didn't really run into any issues this weekend. I had to get back in the groove today because my driving was not up to par today like it was yesterday, but I was able to regroup and focus. You definitely don't want to tow 14 hours and not show up on the track."

Immediately following his big win Upton rushed to call his father and family who were unable to make the trip to Martin.

"I can't wait to call my wife and my dad. My dad travels everywhere with me and was with me when I won at Rockingham earlier this year. He just can't ride long trips like this," Upton said. "But I know he is sitting at home by the phone just waiting for me to call."

Upton also wanted to thank Moser for everything they have done to put on this exciting and one-of-a-king program.

"They really don't know what a program like this means to the racers. It is huge just to get to come race for the money so you can imagine how big winning this thing is," Upton said. "I hope the IHRA and Moser continue to offer this awesome race. It was a ton of fun and I look forward to possibly coming back and defending my win next year."

Adding to the excitement this weekend is the fact that the entire Moser family was on hand to witness Upton's win and be a part of the race itself. Nearly everyone in the Moser family competed in this weekend's event with Rob Moser actually coming out on top in the Top Dragster category Saturday afternoon.

So with another big payday and big win in his pocket, what are Upton's plans for an encore?

"Well, I really don't know. I mean, how do you top what we have done so far this year," Upton said. "Who knows, maybe I will just retire. My boy wants to go junior racing so who knows. Maybe I will just retire on a high note and go junior racing with my boy."