Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Commisso's return a highlight for R2B2 Racing as E-town nears

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. (June 9) -- Pro Modified drag racer Raymond Commisso has been separated from his R2B2 Racing family far too long, and by the Canadian restaurateurs' estimation there's no better place for the reunion than this weekend's Old Bridge Township Raceway Park and the United Association SuperNationals.

"I need to get back into the racecar and fix my head up a little bit," Commisso said. "The race team is my second family. I leave one family here at home, but join another when I get to the racetrack."

Commisso missed the last Get Screened America Pro Mod series race in Atlanta while attending to family matters following the passing of his father. He said he's now ready to get back into the racecar at the event where he is the defending race champion.

"Coping with my father passing was not easy to deal with," Commisso said. "I just need to get back in my racecar to make some runs and clear my head."

When at Englishtown last year, Commisso set the track record on his way to the victory. He'll certainly have the vehicle to defend his title as his R2B2/ProCare Rx Camaro won the last event in Atlanta with fill-in driver Micke Gullqvist at the controls.

"I've had great experiences at E-town," he said. "We got the win and set the track record in style. We ran four 5.80s in a row there. Englishtown is a wonderful place and I can't wait to get back there."

Team owner and racing teammate Roger Burgess has been busy in the downtime since the race in Atlanta. He's announced the formation of the World Wide Pro Mod Association and sent another of his team's drivers, Melanie Troxel, to drive in the FIA season opening Main Event at Santa Pod Raceway in England.

Burgess said he's glad to have the entire team in one place for the first time in a while.

"I'm so glad to have Ray back at the track with the rest of our team," Burgess said. "He's been through a lot and we've all missed him a bunch out here. I'm glad to have my friend back.

"My own car hasn't started the year off the best, but the team is confident after our trip to England. I feel big things are on the way for all of our cars."

Qualifying for the Get Screened American Pro Mod Series event at the 41st annual United Association NHRA SuperNationals begins at 2:30 p.m. EDT Friday at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.