Thursday, December 31, 2009

SPOTLIGHT ON 2009 ATLANTA DRAGWAY TRACK CHAMPIONS

Commerce local Jeremy Hancock said he had three main goals in mind when he began the 2009 racing season in the Super Pro class: “win a track championship, win the ET Bracket Finals, and win as many races as I could.” Hancock started the year right with such lofty objectives, and accomplished nearly everything on the list (the exception being that he placed second at the Division 2 Bracket Finals). Hancock has done in such a short time what many racers spend years striving to do, and atop all that the 25 year old is married with a baby boy on the way. “I give thanks to my dad; he’s the real reason I’m where I’m at with drag racing. He taught me everything I know, and never gave up hope.” Hancock said he came close to the championship many times, including his days in his junior dragster ride, but never managed to win it until now. “I thank God, my wife, Paula (his mother-in-law), Junior Pippin Trucking, Wayne Smith, and my family and friends.” Hancock’s toughest day on the track was the day of Eric “Buford Heavy” Duncan’s funeral: “I’m really thankful to Atlanta Dragway for holding off the race until we could be done with the ceremony.” Hancock’s father Mark piped in, “I’m as proud as a dad could be!” Hancock, with a smiling, sincere expression said, “I also want to thank my grandmother. She prays for me every day about drag racing. She’s my biggest fan, and I know her prayers are answered.”

Canton’s Chad Brewer: “the Big Turkey,” “the Brew,” possibly the assistant to “The Mayor of Hickory Flat” – he may be a man of many names, but he’s got one clear goal.  After winning two Sportsman championships in Dallas, GA and one Sportsman championship in Commerce, Brewer was ready to conquer a new class. He ran into some tough times in the 2008 season, breaking three engines, two transmissions, one torque converter, an axle, and two sets of slicks to name a few. “I never made it out of third round!” Brewer is past the problems now, having won more races than ever before in a single year. Brewer gained the number one position by winning the first race of the season, and stayed ahead until the end, and commented, “That’s anything but easy.” Brewer gave all the credit to the Mayor of Hickory Flat, who said, “Every time he started thinking, I’d slap him and say, ‘Just drive!’” Brewer looks forward to another year in the Pro class in his borrowed Georgia-Tech-yellow ’67 Camaro.

“The last time I won in an athletic competition,” recounted Pro driver J.D. “Doc” Burford, “it was throwing the discus in high school.” Burford (out of Greenville, SC) is adamant about defending the athleticism of racing, and holds dear the amount of concentration and skill required to race successfully. “It’s been a long dry spell, practicing medicine and raising a family – there’s never been enough time to commit to something like this until now.” Burford has been racing for just three years, bringing along his stock Corvette “on a lark one day, and by random chance met Mel Abney. He gave me the layout of the track, showed me the hospitality of the racers, and taught me about the time it takes to commit to racing.” Burford couldn’t get enough of racing, often running in both Sportsman and Pro each weekend. “I’ve really enjoyed the camaraderie,” Burford said, “but they’re all serious business when they pull up to the staging lights.” Burford thanked the track for the hospitality that got him involved, and technicians Hal Rhodes and Tom McMakin, “they’re people who would help me in the past, as a car hobbyist.” Burford was proud but humble about his victory: “It’s been sort of a dream for me, to have a championship in an athletic competition.”

Seasoned Motorcycle racer Jay “Bird” Rhyne from Athens, GA earned his sixth track championship at Atlanta Dragway. “It was just a fun season,” Rhyne said. “It was good, and now I’m getting ready for next year.” Always ready for more racing, Rhyne spent the season switching between two Kawasakis, an ’82 and an ’87 model. His consistency never changed on the faster ’82 bike, though the speed is enough to make onlookers nervous. Rhyne thanked his friend David Barrick from Carroll’s Engine Rebuilders, for helping him work on his bikes. He also thanked “everyone at the track – they’re very nice.” It’s clear Rhyne is a favorite among racers; when his name was called at the banquet, boisterous cheers and applause arose from the crowd. Rhyne is working toward legend status at the track, having secured his sixth championship with an astounding 190 point lead in the ranks. “I wish I could race all year,” Rhyne said of the season’s end, “I’m bored!”

Chris Bowden placed first in the 8-12 Junior Dragster class. The 13-year-old from Homer, GA took hold of the top rank in May, when the racing season becomes the most intense. After gaining the lead, he held on by consistently placing from race to race. Each time he won, Bowden proved his skill at cutting a great light and finishing close to his dial-in. Bowden also won a Wally at the National Dragster Challenge race in July. The older junior class can expect a fierce new rival next season.

Bailey Denton (of McDonough, GA) was feeling ambitious this year, meeting every competition in the 13-17 Junior Dragster category with intense determination. With high goals in mind and plenty of friends and family for support, 15-year-old Bailey took the lead very early in the season, and held it with a surplus of points. Denton has developed an impressive routine of sticking close to her dial-in with a killer reaction time, but has always been humble about her success, attributing it to her parents. Denton also won races elsewhere during the year, as well as a Wally at the National Dragster Challenge race in July. - Amy Glover

No comments: