Thursday, October 22, 2009

Nowling Named Grand Marshal for Shakedown at E-Town

O’FALLON, MO (Oct. 22, 2009) — National Guard American Drag Racing League (ADRL) President and CEO Kenny Nowling knows as well as anyone the havoc wet weather can play on a motorsports event. But opportunity can sometimes sprout forth from a downpour, as happened for Nowling with the rain-postponed 7th annual Al-Anabi Racing Shakedown at E-Town, an independent drag race recently moved to Nov. 6-8, at historic Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, New Jersey.
“As soon as I knew we had to postpone our race to after the ADRL season wrapped up I got on the phone to Kenny and invited him to become our Grand Marshal and Master of Ceremonies,” Shakedown founder and promoter David Hance said. “We wanted it to be someone who’s contributed to the furthering of doorslammer racing and I don’t know of anyone more deserving, to tell the truth.”
Nowling, who has fostered the ADRL from a single event in 2004 to what is now the second-largest professional drag racing series in the world, said he is honored and humbled to be included in what has become one of the most significant annual independent “doorslammer” races in the country.
“Dave is to be commended for what he’s created with the Shakedown at E-Town. He and his people approach the race with the same passion and dedication that we bring to the National Guard ADRL, so when he asked if I’d do it, I agreed immediately,” Nowling said.
Hance, who also competes as a driver in the National Guard ADRL’s Flowmaster Extreme 10.5 class, said Nowling’s willingness to take on the role convinced him he’d made the right choice.
“I actually thought he’d tell me he’d have to think about it,” Hance admitted. “But when I suggested he check his calendar and get back to me, Kenny said, ‘No way, I don’t have to, I’ll clear my calendar for this.’ That meant an awful lot to me.”
As part of his Grand Marshal duties, Nowling will flip the switch as honorary starter for the first pair of cars down the track in eliminations for the Shakedown at E-Town. Hance said he also will receive a commemorative award recognizing Nowling’s contribution to popularizing heads-up, door-car racing.
“I’ve watched the Shakedown from a distance for years and it’s very exciting to know I get to be a part of it this time,” Nowling said. “Besides, it’ll be nice to watch a race where I don’t feel responsible for every little thing. I’m really looking forward to this.”     


No comments: