NORWALK, Ohio – Mike Janis is riding a wave of confidence from an early season win, and is more than ready to add some spark to the NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series as it returns to Norwalk for the seventh annual Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals, July 4-7.
Janis and his Valvoline Chevy Camaro team, which includes his son Mike Janis Jr. as crew chief, will enter the event with a powerful hot rod that they believe is just starting to maximize its performance on the track.
“We are extremely excited to get back on the track,” Janis said. “Race Car Specialties of Warren, Michigan built us a really great hot rod and we started a new Valvoline partnership in Englishtown. This new Chevy Camaro is just starting to scratch the surface of what we feel it will be capable of.”
The team raced to its first season win in Englishtown, defeating the reigning Pro Mod world champion Troy Coughlin, and Janis is confident they are moving toward further success.
“Getting that first season win in Englishtown was huge," the New York native said. “That race was the very first race with our new partner Valvoline. Our team has been working so hard every day, not only on the track, but off the track as well for our partners. To watch everything come together with Valvoline and win at Englishtown was a dream scenario.”
In his 2012 season, Janis reached the third round in qualifying at Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park and has yet to record a win at the facility. He is ready to return and this time take home a coveted NHRA Wally from the event.
“We have been racing at Norwalk for over 25 years and never been able to seal the deal,” Janis said. “Winning at Norwalk would be an absolute dream come true. We have worked overtime in preparation for Norwalk and hopefully come Sunday evening we can be holding that Wally.”
Janis enters Norwalk fourth in points, tied with veteran racer Danny Rowe. He is confident their hard work will pay off and are ready to face the fiercest competitors at Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park.
“The competition out here in the NHRA Pro Mod class is strong,” the veteran Pro Mod driver said. “But it's all about not quitting and continuing to dig deeper and deeper. No matter how many times you get knocked down, it's very important to get back up.”
The NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series features the quickest doorslammer cars from across the country as they battle for a win in one of the wildest classes in the NHRA. A mix of Camaros, Mustangs, Corvettes and Barracudas will take to the track during the course of the event.
At the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals fans will see past national event winners such as Mike Castellana, Von Smith, series points leader Troy Coughlin, "Tricky" Rickie Smith and Kenny Lang, among others in competition on the track.
Fans will also enjoy a horsepower-charged Fourth of July celebrations with thrilling drag racing, the famous ‘Pound-of-Ice-Cream-for-a-Dollar’, a spectacular Friday-night fireworks show and more.
• SCHEDULE: NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series qualifying sessions are scheduled for 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. on July 5 and at 11 a.m. on July 6. The first round of Pro Mod eliminations begins on July 6 at 1:30 p.m. Pro Mod eliminations continues on July 7.
• TICKETS: To purchase tickets for the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals this Fourth of July weekend, please call Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park at (419) 668-5555 or visit www.SummitMotorsportsPark.com.
• ON THE WEB: Get live timing, scoring, multimedia and the latest news updates from every NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series event on the Internet at www.nhra.com. Visit the official NHRA pages on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.
* * *
NHRA PRO MOD DRAG RACING SERIES FACT SHEET
SUMMIT RACING EQUIPMENT NHRA NATIONALS
WHAT: Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals, the sixth of 10 events in the NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series. Other racing series showcased during this event include the NHRA Mello Yello Series and the NHRA Lucas Oil Series.
WHERE: Summit Motorsports Park, Norwalk, OH. The track is located at 1300 State Route 18, Norwalk, OH
COURSE: Championship drag strip; Track elevation is 660 feet above sea level; Track direction is north to south.
WHEN: Thursday through Sunday, July 4-7
FRIDAY, July 5
NHRA PRO MOD DRAG RACING SERIES qualifying at 4 and 6:30 p.m.
SATURDAY, July 5
NHRA PRO MOD DRAG RACING SERIES qualifying at 11 a.m.; first round of eliminations at 1:30 p.m.
SUNDAY, July 5 - Pre-race ceremonies, 10 a.m.
NHRA PRO MOD DRAG RACING SERIES eliminations continue at approximately 2:30 p.m.
2012 WINNER: Don Walsh
TRACK RECORDS: 5.863 sec. by Danny Rowe, June. ’11; 253.85 mph by Don Walsh, July ’12.
NATIONAL RECORDS: 5.772 sec. by Melanie Troxel, June. ’11, Englishtown; 258.71 mph by Troxel, June ’11, Englishtown.
TICKETS: For tickets call (419) 668-5555. Tickets also available online at www.summitmotorsportspark.com.
* * *
NHRA PRO MOD DRAG RACING SERIES WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS STANDINGS
1. Troy Coughlin, Delaware, Ohio, Jegs.com Chevy Corvette (1) 366
2. Rickie Smith, King, N.C., IDG Chevy Camaro (1) 356
3. Kenny Lang, Grande Pointe, Manit., Summit Racing Chevy Corvette 335
4t. Mike Janis, Lancaster, N.Y., Valvoline Chevy Camaro (1) 288
4t. Danny Rowe, Laguna Hills, Calif., Agave Underground Tequila Chevy Camaro 288
6. Von Smith, Oak Ridge, Tenn., Dr. Moon / Al-Anabi Chevy Camaro (1) 285
7. Mike Castellana, Muttontown, N.Y., Al-Anabi Chevy Camaro 260
8. Clint Satterfield, Albuquerque, BAC Enterprises Pontiac Firebird (1) 258
9. Chip King, Semora, N.C., Dodge Daytona 257
10. Pete Farber, Baldwinville, Mass., T.J. & Sons Auto Repair Dodge Daytona 250