BAYTOWN, Texas – Pro Mod driver Danny Rowe has had his share of successes in the Pro Mod Drag Racing Series over the years, but the Southern California-based driver seems to have a special knack for visiting the winner's circle at Royal Purple Raceway.
As the NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series rolls into the ultra-quick dragstrip located just east of downtown Houston, April 26-28, for the O’Reilly Auto Parts NHRA SpringNationals presented by Super Start Batteries, Rowe wants nothing more than to have history repeat itself. Rowe will seek his third win at Royal Purple Raceway with a new sponsor on the side of his famed black supercharged '67 Chevy Camaro: Agave Underground Tequila.
“We have a good handle on the racing,” Rowe said. “We have won twice in Houston (2012 and 2010). So this weekend we would like to see a repeat win especially with our new sponsor Agave Underground coming out this weekend. They are new to the sport and are enjoying every bit of the racing excitement. There’s definitely added pressure when the sponsor is in town, but we’ll be ready to bring some great racing to Houston.”
Rowe is focused on race No. 3 in the 10-race series after qualifying No. 2 at the season-opener in Gainesville and No. 1 in Charlotte. This momentum has Rowe feeling positive that his team is ready to grab its first win of the season and improve on its current seventh place points position.
“We’re focused and ready to head into Houston,” Rowe said. “Royal Purple Raceway has a great racing facility and we love the people at Houston. Can’t wait to get out there and bring them some great side-by-side drag racing.”
Heavy-hitters like defending world champion Troy Coughlin, who won the most recent event at zMAX Dragway in North Carolina last weekend, series points leader Von Smith, Charlotte runner-up Kenny Lang, and cagey veteran driver Rickie Smith are all eager to grab a win in the popular 250-mph doorslammer touring series. Rowe is confident his Agave Underground Tequila Camaro team will bring their A-game to Houston.
“Overall, the quality of cars and drivers in the series is tremendous,” Rowe said. “We know what we’re up against and we’ll continue to do our very best. (Crew chief) Jimmy Rector and all the guys have done a terrific job in giving me a consistent car. It's been a great start to the season. I know we’re all looking forward to Houston this weekend.”
Featuring the world’s fastest and most unique doorslammer cars with an extremely diverse collection of vehicles, including ’63 Corvettes, ’68 Camaros, ’67 Mustangs, ’68 Firebirds as well as late model cars, the NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series offers something for every kind of hot-rodding enthusiast.
• SCHEDULE: NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series qualifying sessions are scheduled for 3 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. on April 26 and at 1:45 p.m. on April 27. The first round of Pro Mod eliminations begins on April 27 at 4 p.m. Pro Mod eliminations continues at approximately 2:30 p.m. on April 28.
• TICKETS: Tickets are available for the O’Reilly Auto Parts NHRA SpringNationals. Please call Royal Purple Raceway at (281) 383-2666 or visit www.royalpurpleraceway.com to purchase tickets online.
• ON THE WEB: Get live timing, scoring, multimedia and the latest news updates from every NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series event on the Internet at www.nhra.com. Visit the official NHRA pages on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.
* * *
NHRA PRO MOD DRAG RACING SERIES FACT SHEET
O’REILLY AUTO PARTS NHRA SPRING NATIONALS presented by Super Start Batteries
WHAT: O’Reilly Auto Parts NHRA Spring Nationals presented by Super Start Batteries, the third of 10 events in the NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series. Other NHRA racing action showcased during this event include the NHRA Mello Yello Series and the NHRA Lucas Oil Series.
WHERE: Royal Purple Raceway, Baytown, Texas. The track is located at 2525 FM 565 South, Baytown, Texas. From Interstate 10 take the State Hwy. 99 (Grand Parkway) exit, which is exit 799. Take a right on State Hwy. 99 and go to the first exit (2 miles) which is FM 565. Take a right on FM 565 and Royal Purple Raceway will be on your right. For additional information about directions please visit www.royalpurpleraceway.com.
COURSE: Championship drag strip; Track elevation is 10 feet above sea level; Track direction is south to north.
WHEN: Friday through Sunday, April 26-28.
FRIDAY, April 26
NHRA PRO MOD DRAG RACING SERIES qualifying at 3 p.m. and 5:15 p.m.
SATURDAY, April 27
NHRA PRO MOD DRAG RACING SERIES qualifying at 1:45 p.m.; first round of eliminations at 4 p.m.
SUNDAY, April 28 - Pre-race ceremonies, 10 a.m.
NHRA PRO MOD DRAG RACING SERIES eliminations continue at approximately 2:30 p.m.
PAST WINNERS: 2012:Danny Rowe; 2011: Mike Castellana; 2010: Danny Rowe
TRACK RECORDS: 5.813 seconds by Jay Payne, April ‘10; 253.47 mph by Roger Burgess, April ’11.
NATIONAL RECORDS: 5.772 sec. by Melanie Troxel, June. ’11, Englishtown; 258.71 mph by Troxel, June ’11, Englishtown.
TICKETS: For tickets call (281) 383-RACE (7223). Tickets also available online at www.royalpurpleraceway.com.
* * *
NHRA PRO MOD DRAG RACING SERIES POINT STANDINGS
(Following the second of 10 races; victories in parentheses)
1. Von Smith, Oak Ridge, Tenn., Dr. Moon / Al-Anabi Chevy Camaro (1) 165
2. Troy Coughlin, Delaware, Ohio, Jegs.com Chevy Corvette (1) 146
3. Kenny Lang, Grande Pointe, Manit., Summit Racing Chevy Corvette 132
4. Chip King, Southport, N.C., Dodge Daytona 123
5. Rickie Smith, King, N.C., IDG Chevy Camaro 110
6. Pete Farber, Baldwinville, Mass., T.J. & Sons Auto Repair Dodge Daytona 98
7. Danny Rowe, Laguna Hills, Calif., Agave Underground Tequila Camaro 95
8. Mike Castellana, Muttontown, N.Y., Al-Anabi Camaro 93
9. Mike Janis, Lancaster, N.Y., K100 Fuel Treatment Camaro 85
10. Clint Satterfield, Albuquerque, BAC Enterprises Camaro 84